Fire In Downtown Spencer Causes Considerable Damage; Sends Several To The Hospital

Three people were taken to the hospital in a fire Sunday afternoon that damaged a building in the 200 block of Grand Avenue in downtown Spencer. All were reportedly treated for smoke inhalation.

Four businesses on the ground floor level sustained water damage. Fire damage was reported to eight apartments on the upper level. The Spencer Fire Department was called to the scene a little after 12:30 pm Sunday. An occupant of one of the apartments called 911 reporting she had just gotten home and that there was a lot of smoke in her apartment. Fire Departments from Everly and Spirit Lake also assisted at the scene.

The American Red Cross is assisting those who were displaced by the fire. There’s been no word on a probable cause. Officials say everyone who lived in the apartments have been accounted for. Firefighters also removed three pets. They were taken to a veterinarian for treatment.

Firefighters were on the scene about eight hours. The State Fire Marshal has been called to investigate.

(courtesy KUOO in Spirit Lake)



Local News