Storm Lake Apartment Fire

November 24, 2015

Saturday evening, the Storm Lake Fire Department was called to a fire at an apartment at 1726 East Milwaukee.

Fire fighters found light smoke in the apartment and determined a fire on the stove top had been extinguished by the occupant using a fire extinguisher. Fire fighters checked for any extension of the fire and found none. An adult woman who lived in the apartment was checked by paramedics at the scene for smoke inhalation but was not transported for medical treatment.

Fire fighters believe the fire occurred when cooking oil was briefly left unattended while being heated in a pan. The oil over heated and ignited. There was about one-thousand dollars damage to the apartment, owned by North Park Apartments.

The fire department was on scene for about 20 minutes, and was assisted by Storm Lake Police and Buena Vista County Paramedics.