Apartment Fire Said to be Caused by Furnace

One unit in an apartment complex was damaged in a fire Tuesday in Primghar.

According to Primghar Fire Chief Cory Crouch, at about 11am Tuesday, the Primghar Fire Department was called to the report of an apartment fire at Prairie Winds Apartments, an 8-plex apartment building in Primghar. The chief says the fire department saw smoke and steam coming from the south side of the building as they approached the scene. He says they found the unit’s furnace on fire. Crouch says each unit has their own furnace and no common ductwork.

Crouch says they used one hose line and were able to put out the fire pretty easily. He said there was some extension into the attic, so they had to pull down some ceiling to get at some smoldering insulation. Crouch says no injuries were reported.

Crouch says the cause of the fire appeared to be either a malfunction or overuse of the furnace, and says there was moderate damage, including damage to the carpet and doors.

Firefighters were on the scene about two and-a-half hours. The Sanborn Fire Department provided mutual aid.

(courtesy Community First Broadcasting station KIWA in Sheldon)

Share:

Local News